Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Muscat Idol, 2008 ~ Teen Sensation

Was a pretty fun day. I was one of the finalists of Muscat Idol, 2006 and had the privilege of being judged by Anandji of the Kalyanji-Anadji duo and Bala Bhrambhatt ji. Though I didn't win I did get a lot of recognition and appreciation as I was the youngest among the 12 Indians. The oldest would be somewhere 40 plus. The practice sessions, the photoshoots, the discussions, I used to eagerly wait to go to Mr. Dalal's house for anything to do with this. Though he is a doctor by proffession his passion for music is exotic. He is so hardworking and honest ,wo din bhi kya din the !The 2006 was the one for seniors and Mr. Shekhar had won it. We even had a mini bus where in our digi photos were put across a poster that covered the whole bus. And my! just few days before the finals the bus was riding to each and every place. When people called and said that they somewhat saw my face on a bus, the sense of being a star! priceless! But It was only for that moment. Honest.

Then came the kids season where we had the tiniest of the tiniest singing their lungs out. I had been called to check along the finalists performances. And this time 'Talent Hunters' had grown several yards longer , from Al Falaj to the Amphitheatre (the biggest stage accommodating 5000 people approx.) But sadly I was not able to attend this one coz I was in India then.

Now it's the one for the teens.BTW I am still a teen :D When I received Dalal's call for an invitation to take part in the selection of songs for the finalists ,once again those fond memories were blown back like a wind. Along with a few other senior members we started the session by 7:30. There is quality but in most the singers I found lack of classical knowledge or background. Some were shivering with fear and some totally approached us with a care free attitude. And there was this one girl who kept going out of rythm and this irritated Manoj Bhattji. He was astonished to hear a finalist go out of rythm and this provoked him each time to raise his voice. Seeing that he was not too happy with her singing , she eventually declined and said that she'll probably practice and make an attempt again. Some sang exceedingly well . You know even if you can't sing that great or probably have a voice of low register or high register, etc ...either you practice day and night and rectify it or else choose a song that suits your texture. Most of them wanted to sing Dil Cheez Kya hai and Manoj ji said that "If you choose this song, Neha will beat me coz she has won first prize for this song as she sung it with so much perfection". I got soooooo embarrassed and it was pretty sweet of him to say something that nice about me ... and oh ya !! I won't harm anyone for selecting that one !! That is one of the songs I had sung for the finals. After we packed up the whole session someone shooted out 'Neha ,how come your not taking part?' and I replied that I don't live in Oman anymore :( and it's time for the lil ones to come up. Someone also commented that I am now into selection process than the participation one. I feel so grown up and I hate that. I wish I were still a toddler not having to worry about anything except for the diapers. Gone are those days. Gone. Forever.
Never meant to revert back.

5 comments:

VIKAS PLAKKOT said...

Yawn! Very bored 2 read such a longggg article... :)...

g-man said...

move on to other stuff...thinking about d past is only gonna make you feel sad. n at least you're still in your teens! i turn 20 this friday. can't wait, lol

Neha Nair said...

Vikas: Thanks for the motivation !

g-man: Congrats on losing your teen rights soon...and what's with the 'atleast'? Does that mean I am suppose to be happy?

g-man said...

na you said you're still a teen, and near the end, that you feel so grown up. so i just said that...being happy is up to you. i kinda like growing older now coz it means getting closer to the time when i'll be independent

Neha Nair said...

OH well.. there are times when I want to really grow up and earn like mad and there are times I wanna study 10th again and there are also times I want to be a toddler again.. there are times where I have wished to have never been born! All passing phases... as of now I am happy..